It has been open season for cyber threat actors targeting organizations’ endpoints during the COVID-19 epidemic. With a large percentage of employees now working from home or remotely, cybercriminals are looking for easy entry points that aren’t protected. Research shows 70% of all breaches originate on the endpoints. [IDC]. Types of attacks have included:
- Email Scams – Messages arriving in inboxes impersonating WHO, CDC and other reputable sources.
- Charity Scams – Random charity organizations asking for donations in the wake of COVID-19.
- Robocalls – Cybercriminals pretending to be government organizations, family members in distress or banks/credit card companies.
- Social Media Scams – Threat actors distributing false information and capitalizing on the panic.
Typical deceptive messages may look like:
- Email – Coronavirus Symptoms: What Are They and Should I See a Doctor? After describing symptoms and how people have been affected, the email asks readers to click on a Find and Research Your Medical Symptoms.
- Internal Announcement – Important COVID-19 Updates and Measures: Important company policies regarding the COVID-19 virus have been updated to OneDrive. It is important you read the procedures to keep everyone safe. Log in here to read.
- Text Message – In response to the recent shortage of surgical masks, the Red Cross will be giving one free box per household. Visit http://RedCross-facemask.ca to get yours.
Once readers click on the links, they are redirected to a malicious website that looks identical to the destination readers are expecting, or a malware automatically downloads onto their system. This opens the door for threat actors to have a field day wreaking havoc on your network.
Let Magna5 Take Your Endpoint Security to the Next Level
At Magna5, we understand that simply having antivirus, signature protection and preventative measures are no match for today’s advanced cyber threats. It takes a multi-tiered defense strategy to counter attacks before they penetrate your endpoints and perimeter.
Ensure Remote Workers Are Secure – We protect endpoints connecting to your network through the public internet with real-time treat detection, hunting and remediation, no matter where your employees are working. If a malware takes foothold of your network, we can reverse the attack with malware rollback to defuse the damage before it happens.
Eliminate Threats Before They Happen – We provide deep visibility into every device and application running both on-premises and in the cloud. Magna5 can detect and block both malicious files and file-less attacks before they are executed. Files will be quarantined and taken off your network until the situation is remediated.
Remove Vulnerabilities to Block Entry Points – In addition, we manage the entire patching and endpoint configuration process to proactively minimize the vectors that attackers can exploit. This includes filtering through hundreds of upgrades, testing validity of the upgrade and rolling out the upgrade across your enterprise.
In an era of the remote workforce, protecting endpoints are more important than ever. Learn about our multi-layer endpoint security defense. And be sure to check out our recent Endpoint Security webinar for more in-depth details. We are here to help you stop data breaches before they can disrupt organizational operations.
Mike Penn joined Magna5 as Senior Content Developer. His role is to bring to life stories that inspire or inject clarity in how managed services and emerging trends can be applied to help organizations operate better and more efficiently.